Tuesday, January 14, 2014

How Busy is Your Attorney?

An attorney recently asked her colleagues for advice. She said:
Case load
 
What is the maximum amount of family law cases, a family law attorney should have to properly and adequately represent the client's interest?

I presently have an 92 family law case load. The vast majority of my family law cases are highly litigious, some with extremely difficult opposing counsels. In addition I have 19 criminal files increasing my case load to 111. I feel this is too much, but my employer does not see it that way and continue to assign me anywhere from 1 to 5 new files a day.

I only have 1 paralegal who does her best to keep up, but is drowning. Her duties include, scheduling, communication with the clients, gather and prepare discovery requests/demands, filing, scanning, prepare miscellaneous motions and send out client invoices. We work well as a team but it is increasingly hard to keep up. I wish to provide my employers with suggestions on how to improve so that the we do not feel so overworked. I have to address them like I am addressing a case, with strong arguments and facts on hand. Thus why I reached out to my colleagues here. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Sincerely,
Overworked Attorney
 
I don't know how many cases I am currently handling, but I know I am not working as hard as this attorney. I suspect I also have a much better quality of life than this attorney. I too have one paralegal, but I also have a receptionist and a file clerk who do a Lot of work for us.
 
Really, how you handle a case is more important than the number of cases you handle. I try to let clients know up front how their case will proceed and what actions will be taken. When clients begin calling with problems, I set a time to meet personally to address their concerns. Many problems are avoided by ensuring expectations are reasonable before taking a case.
 
Most importantly, I take on cases that have reasonable expectations. If a client comes in seeking my assistance to do something patently abusive or unfair to their spouse, I decline the representation.
Actually, I decline quite a few clients. I want to provide good quality service at a reasonable fee. I cannot meet that goal by taking every case that calls or promising unreasonable results.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Morning will come.

Morning will come.
No matter how dark the night!