Thursday, September 8, 2011

Cutthroat Legal Practice

When I hear of a "Cutthroat Attorney," I wonder, "who asked for that?" Admission to the Florida Bar requires an Oath, which states in part, "I will abstain from all offensive personality . . . unless required by the justice of the cause with which I am charged." Its possible you have heard stories of lawyers who need to review this oath again, perhaps daily.
Why people in court would want "the meanest, nastiest attorney they can find" escapes me. If you are known by the company you keep, well, lets just say, I prefer to keep company with the very best people around.
I have known attorneys who were easy to work with, and I have known lawyers who could not agree the sky is blue. Those who are easy to work with, I routinely mention to clients I am unable to assist. Attorneys who cannot agree on anything, I trust can survive without my assistance.
The meanest, nastiest attorneys tend to drive up litigation costs without significant benefit to their clients, while those attorneys who work with the other side and try to resolve conflicts tend to help their clients through the litigation process. We have all heard stories of divorces costing more than 20 or 30 THOUSAND dollars. I truly believe "Who wins" is NOT really as important as "If or Where" your children attend college.
Attorneys who know how to work with opposing counsel tend to achieve better results overall whether through settlement or in trial, in my humble opinion. Some of the most aggressive litigators in the Orlando area have been the easiest to work with when their clients have modest means. That is to say, even the nastiest attorneys can agree when they are not being paid well. I find this disappointing. If the client's goals are reasonable, why should the litigation change based on the attorney's paycheck?
Perhaps I am being obtuse. I think a fair price for an honest days work should be everyone's goal.
If you need an attorney, call me. 407-645-3297 or visit my website at www.aubreylaw.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Morning will come.

Morning will come.
No matter how dark the night!