Thursday, August 29, 2013

I love the New York Times

Recently on a trip to New York City, I had the opportunity to see a baseball game. The Yankees were NOT in town as is so often the case when I am in NYC, so as I always do, I went to a METS game. The Mets colors match my Florida Gators and they had a promotion going on where you could get a free Jersey for subscribing to the New York Times. The Jersey was Black, with orange and blue trim. My Winter Park High School Wildcats team colors are Black and Orange, the same as my son's school, Tusculum College. Win the Trifecta of Spectator Apparel!

The cost of subscribing to the New York Times was only $17 per month, less than 1/4 of the price of the jersey in the store. Win again!

Now, I get the Sunday NY Times each weekend. I get the daily electronic version http://www.nytimes.com/ of the paper on my computer each day. Win Again!

Best of all, I really Love the New York Times. The articles are well written, informative and in depth. For example, in my Elder Law practice, I often deal with grandparents who have lost touch with their children and grandchildren. An opinion piece today, related one person's experience with similar situations. http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/08/28/forgetting-grandma/ Elders can always find additional assistance with the National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys, NAELA, and in Florida, Florida Academy of Elder Law Attorneys.
Some stories appear just entertaining but as you read them you notice so much more and learn more than you ever planned to consider. http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/28/fashion/weddings/divorce-whisperer-mediating-with-parents-isnt-easy-field-notes.html

A story just two weeks ago really set me thinking about my Family Law practice. http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/10/your-money/from-a-divorce-in-the-affluent-class-lessons-for-all.html?pagewanted=all In high asset divorces, the emotional impact may be the same as others, but the financial wrangling can overwhelm parties who are accustomed to little worry over daily finances. I have worked to promote Collaborative Divorce in my area of practice and today saw the benefit first hand as my client walked into court, answered a question from the judge and walked out with her divorce 20 minutes later. Yes, we had filed the case 60 days ago. Yes, there were other meetings between the parties and their attorneys. Yes, there were many complex papers to complete; however, for the clients, we removed most of the stress of being in court and having others decide what would become of their lives. The Clients were the only ones making decisions about their family. The Lawyers, the Judge, the System did NOT decide who got what or paid how much to whom.

Even a simple search on the New York Times finds support for the Collaborative Process. http://query.nytimes.com/search/sitesearch/#/Collaborative+divorce/ More than 30 articles appear, and the list keeps growing, showing the financial, psychological and Family benefits of Collaborative Divorce. Every now and then, I am truly proud of what we do in helping families improve their lives.

I love spending just a few minutes reading the paper each day. Now I have to be careful not to get caught up in following one great article after another in the NY Times. If I can be of assistance to you or your family, please call me at 407-645-3297 or visit my website at www.aubreylaw.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Morning will come.

Morning will come.
No matter how dark the night!