Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Where Does the Time Go?

Please forgive a little marketing:
My time sells for $325 per hour. For some people on a fixed income or when the issues are very straightforward, I can let my time go for as little as $150 per hour. Unfortunately, all my time is not sold every day. Some of my time is wasted sleeping, some spent working out, some spent on my family (this is never a waste and always a priority).

So, what makes the difference between a $325 hour and a $150 hour? Usually the difference is dependent on a wide variety of factors, including: the client's problem; the urgency of need; the intricasy of solution; probability of collection, and my general attitude toward the client. If I truly do not want the client's problem to be my own, my rate quoted may be even higher.

I recently laughed when a client asked how long his $5,000 retainer would last. He had already taken more than 3 hours to describe the problem which could have been summed up in as little as 15 minutes if the man had simply listened to what I, and his previous counsel, had said. You must follow court orders or risk having the court treat you as a derelict.

So where does the time go? Every human gives their time to their own choosing. How cheaply you sell your time determines what you do with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Morning will come.

Morning will come.
No matter how dark the night!